Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chocolate Pie, Anyone?

Want a slice of Chocolate Fudge Pie?

Well, only if you can keep a secret...


This chocolate pie has a very special ingredient... tofu!  And, no, this isn't an April Fool's joke!
I try to avoid eating lots of sugar,  which usually isn't too difficult for me.  However, once in awhile I really want a special treat.  I've been looking for the perfect "healthy dessert."  I came across a great blog called Chocolate Covered Katie. She has lots and lots of recipes that look fantastic so I decided to make one to see if it tasted fantastic, too.


The recipe was very simple to follow and all of the ingredients could be found at any grocery store (some of Katie's recipe call for ingredients that I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to find them).  I was a little skeptical of how the recipe would turn out after I blended the ingredients in my Magic Bullet and licked the spoon... the pie filling had a very distinct tofu aftertaste.  However, the aftertaste wasn't nearly as strong after the pie had time to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.  And the left-overs I had a couple days later barely tasted of tofu.  So my cooking tip for Chocolate Fudge Pie is time is your friend!  Let this pie sit a day or two before serving.

I thought it would be good to have a sugar-eater taste test this recipe, too.  Patrick accepted the job.  He had just come from dinner at his cousin's house but said if he wasn't already so full he would have asked for a second slice.  He might have just said that because he's a really nice.  I think this recipe has enough potential that I might test it out on my dad, too.  If it gets his approval it is a keeper!

Here's the recipe in case you'd like to give it a try.  Make sure to let me know what you think!


Chocolate Fudge Pie
1 Package Firm Tofu (12.3 oz)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla
2 tbs milk of choice
scant 1/8 tsp salt
8 to 10 oz chocolate chips (I used the 60% cocoa chips)
2-3 tbs agave
Melt chocolate then throw everything into a food processor and blend until super-smooth.  Pour into a pie crust (optional).  Fridge until chilled.  This gets firmer the longer it sits.

3 comments:

  1. glad it turned out good. are you planning on telling your dad what is in it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting- I have actually never tried tofu... I think we should make this when Jay and I come out on a Sunday when you do! I would be willing to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubrey, I'm sorry I didn't get to see you and Jay this weekend. I promise to make this pie next time I see you!!!

    ReplyDelete