Monday, June 4, 2012

Ugly Step-Sister 101

I love dressing up as a princess.  It is so fun to wear a big, fluffy dress, tiara, pretty shoes and act sweet and dainty.  However, I have to admit that playing Grizzila, one of the ugly step-sisters in the Children's Theatre recent production of CINDERELLA, was a great change of pace.  It was so liberating to portray a character so unlike real-life self.  I love making faces and this role provided me the perfect opportunity to put my ugliest ones imaginable to good use!

Anytime I would tell someone which role I was playing in CINDERELLA, they would act so shocked.  How could someone so cute and nice (their words, not mine) play someone so awful?  Well, let me tell you, getting ugly wasn't a difficulty at all.  I've never been able to get ready for a show so quickly in my whole theatrical career!

Here is little a step-by-step guide to becoming an ugly step-sister for all of my curious readers...

The "BEFORE" Photo


1. I always started with my hair.  Two ponytails with two braids each.

2. Wrap and Pin.

3. My eyebrows would vary each performance depending on my mood.  Some days  I would go for a uni-brow, other times I would make them dark and bushy.  Feel free to mix it up.

4. Ugly step-sisters should have obnoxious lipstick to accentuate their unflattering  facial expressions.

5. I used Ben Nye black-out to give Griziila a diastema, or gap tooth.  I think it was her best feature.

6. Big, big glasses and there you have it.  Who knew being ugly could be so easy?


No comments:

Post a Comment